Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 00:41:29 +0200
From:      Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to get involved in a port (as a newbie)?

Hi all,

I am pretty sure this is the wrong place for this question, but still I will
dare to ask (and hope my head will stay on my shoulders ;-) ):

What's the way to get involved in a port? I don't think there's the possibility
for me to start a new port myself, since I just don't have the ability. Let's
hope "not yet, but soon".
I did code 68000-assembler back in my Atari ST days (and GFA-Basic, if someone
remembers that ;) and I learned some Java and Python (very little), but I would
be really interested in coding C. The best way in my eyes is to actually work in
a real project. I know this may be the wrong question to the wrong group, but
since a lot of people here seem to be contributors, I thought I still might ask
that question. I am using FreeBSD for maybe one year now and the longer I use it
the more I wish to contribute in some way.

Thanks a lot in advance (...and please remember to not chop my head off),

Jan