Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 14:24:38 -0500
From:      lray@aurora.liunet.edu
To:        questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation trouble...Please help

I have a 406 meg IDE hard drive and a 1 gig SCSI drive that I've been
trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.0 on for a very long time.  I picked the
406 meg drive specificly to hold the root file system... It has only
989 cylinders, and I'd had trouble installing it on the SCSI alone.
(SCSI has 1931 cylinders)

I installed a 20 meg DOS partition on the SCSI so FreeBSD can figure
out the geometry of the disk (as I read in the FAQ).  I then booted
form the boot floppy, selected Novice Installation, and made the appropriate
partitions and filesystems (/,/var,/usr,swap).

When the installation starts,  I get:
"Couldn't make filesystems properly.  Aborting."

If I press control-f2 I see the message:
DEBUG: Scanning disk wd0 for root filesystem
DEBUG: Scanning disk sd0 for root filesystem
DEBUG: Scanning disk wd0 for swap filesystem
DEBUG: Scanning disk sd0 for swap filesystem
pid 5: sh: uid 0: exited on signal 11
pid 0 on /: file system full
DEBUG: Switching back to VTY1

Can anyone help me understand exactly what these messages mean and what I'm
doing wrong? If so, please write.

Thanks
L.Ray