Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 06:30:32 +0000 ()
From:      michael dorin <mike@chaski.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP on demand help needed

Help!
I would like to replace my Ascend single MAC address internet router
with a freebsd box doing the same thing.

Currently I have 6 static ip addresses.

xxx.xxx.xxx.233 is the address of the router. (To be replaced by FreeBSD)
xxx.xxx.xxx.234,235,236,237,238 are assigned to computers on my lan...
though they all don't need real IP addresses, only a couple really do.

I have the Motorola bitsurfr ISDN pro adapter setup and working.  I can
dial my ISP using cu and PPP stuff comes on the screen.  There is
no login.  It is on DOS COM2:

The ISP uses chap for authentication, but they tell me pap would work
fine.

I would like the FreeBSD box to bring up the connection on demand and
route packets from fellow computers on the lan.

How can I set this up?  I have spent one sleepless night working on
it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike Dorin