Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:07:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Jeff Gray <jwgray@netbox.com>
Cc:        Jeff Gray <jwg@netbox.com>, Questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fixed IP, losing net connection

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Jeff Gray wrote:
> The green link light is on, next to the RJ45 plug.  Good thought.
> Can telnet to localhost

	OK, so its not the card, in all likelihood.  Nor is it FreeBSD's
networking stack as a whole.  It still might be a quirk in the one
interface, though.  (I doubt it, personally...)

> The cable modem runs into a hub.  I have two FreeBSD boxes connected to
> the hub.  One running 2.2.6 is fine and stable.  The new one running 3.3
> is fine except it has lost the ability to be connected to from outside the
> lan.  You can ping it from your machine but you could not telnet in if you
> had an account.

	So when the problems occur, it only effects incomming traffic from
beyond your cable modem?  When the 3.3 box has problems, the 2.2.6 box can
still telnet into it?  If not, what is the exact message that telnetting
to the 3.3 box from the 2.2.6 box returns?

> You could ping and telnet into the FreeBSD box running 2.2.6

	So the 2.2.6 box never looses its abilities.  Right?

> Fixed IPs, not DHCP on these boxes. Also have Mac connected to the Lan, it
> is connected via dhcp and working fine.

	Why is the Mac using DHCP while the FreeBSD boxes have static IPs?
Did your internet provider explicity and intenionally give you two static
IPs?  If not, they might be assigning those IPs to other customers via
DHCP, which would cause a configuration conflict.

> Just the new box, with 3.3 is a problem.

	Is this new hardware?  Does your ISP know that its there?  Did
they intentionally grant a new, static IP for it?

> Can telnet to my IP from the 3.3 box but cannot telnet to any other box,
> including the box on the lan.  can ping the other machines on the lan.

	I don't understand this.  Please explain in more detail so that I
know which machine your talking about for each act.  Thanks.

> Appreciate any ideas or advice.

	I'm working on it.  :)  So far it sounds like a config problem or
your ISP, though its more likely a problem with using what your ISP wants
you to use.

						Jaime