Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 00:29:13 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        S ren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        rnordier@nordier.com (Robert Nordier), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to add a new bootdevice to the new boot code ???

> It seems Robert Nordier wrote:
> > If the problem is the bootblocks, why not send a message to Robert
> > Nordier, or if it's loader, to Mike Smith or Daniel Sobral?  And
> > say, "This is what I want to do, what are we going to do about it?"
> > or something similar?
> =

> OK, easy enough, this is what I want to do:
> =

> Boot from an ata disk on major# 30, device name "ad", plain and simple.=

> =

> As the bootcode is now this wont work. If its as simple as me adding
> the pair 30 & "ad" somewhere, I'm satisfied, if not, I'm dissapointed :=
)

Hah.  You should be reusing the major from 'wd'; there is no other way =

for this to work, sorry.

More eloquently, the only information the loader has is the "disk type" =

field from the disklabel, from which it has to decide the major for the =

root device (this is all historical Vax breakage, but resistance to =

fixing it has been strong).

By picking a random number for the major for your new device, you make =

the situation much worse than it needs to be; the loader can't tell =

which ATA driver is in the kernel.

-- =