Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 02:18:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        mark@grondar.za
Cc:        croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating p5-* ports for perl-5.005_01

 * From: Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
 *
 *  wrote:

"wrote"? :)

 * > Hmm.  Is that really necessary?  The stuff in /usr/src is "the"
 * > system, you don't really have to worry about coexisting with other
 * > versions.  (It's not like someone's going to install both perl5.004
 * > and perl5.005 in /usr/src on the same machine....)
 *
 * The reason for this (and I'm flexible) is that when the number changes,
 * very often there are incompatible binaries around. I'd like to be able
 * to solve that problem by saying to the luser "blow away the 5.00n dir".

Will there be anything left behind?  I was under the impression that
5.00n+1 is always a strict superset of 5.00n. :)

Seriously, maybe you're right.  I don't even pretend to know anything
about perl binaries (didn't even know they are binary!), so I'll stop
here.

 * Sure. That also makes sense. I can go that way too. Given that it seems
 * to be receiving more support, Ill doo that until the flames arrive :-).

Ok, but just don't blame it on me if people don't like it. :>

 * Right - move man pages to /usr/local/man/man3? /usr/<mumble>/perl5/man/man3?
 * Where?

I don't mind them going into /usr/local/man/man3, but maybe some
others do.  how about /usr/local/share/perl/man/man3, maybe with the
version number inserted somewhere to be consistent (-ly annoying) with
others?  (Or are manpages version-dependent too?)

 * > So I assume you're going to leave versions in there, right?  May I
 * > commit the bsd.port.mk fix? :)
 *
 * Please do.

Ok, will commit in a minute.  (Call me paranoid, but I'm testing it
again...since I backed that part out of my earlier commit and
re-merged it....)

 * > Is it really supposed to be this way? ;)
 *
 * *Cringe* Yup. The stuff under i386-freebsd (infact ${ARCH}-${OS}) is binary
 * executable shared loadables *phew*. The stuff under auto is the autoloaded
 * stuff that co-operates with the other .... and so on. It is nasty.

But then some things moved under version-specific or machine-specific
directories while some others didn't.  That was what was confusing me.

Oh well.  I was just "find"ing the filenames and patching up the
PLISTs.  I'm not going to fix any more perl ports anyway.  The rest is
someone else's problem. :)

Satoshi