Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 17:28:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        "Stephen A. Derdau" <sderdau@xtdl.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP!!!!

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Brian Somers wrote:

> > Is an email address going to someone@hotmail.com really an address
> > to respond to?  Or is it a way for someone to get valid emails
> > from somoneone who has an interest in computers?
> >
> > I think I'll choose not to respond to any of these types of email
> > addresses.
> [.....]
>
> hotmail.com is a member of my spamsites.txt file.  A large percentage
> of my (X-)spam comes from there.

Actually, that's probably not true, what is true is that a lot of your
spam claims to come from there, but in fact never touched their system.
If you use procmail, it's pretty easy to discard anything with a
hotmail.com address that didn't really come from hotmail.  In fact, out of
about 650 spam (yes, I save all my spam for later analysis), not one came
from hotmail.com. Oh, there are some halfway clever forgeries, but it's
pretty obvious the forgers never actually sent themselves a piece of email
from hotmail to see what the headers look like.

The same goes for juno.com, usa.net, and msn.com, though not to the same
degree, as I actually do have spam that really came from them.

Even most of the AOL spam I've got never went through AOL.