Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:28:37 -0500
From:      Mike Urban <murban@webzone.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can FreeBSD and Samba replace Netware?

I am currently working with a situation in which I have a netware server
that mostly just acts as a file server and a print server. It has
several Windows 95 PC's connected to it that use it this way. We want to
add intranet and email services to it, but there is no cheap way to do
this with Netware. I have been considering the idea of completely
getting rid of the Netware server and installing a FreeBSD server with
Samba in it's place.

Will Samba allow me to map FreeBSD file systems to DOS drives? In other
words, will my applications on the Windows PC's be able to access files
seemlessly on the FreeBSD server just like they do now under Netware?
Basically, I need the server to do the same thing it is doing now, but
with the addition of intranet and email services. Is Samba and FreeBSD
is viable solution?

Thanks,

Mike.