Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2001 18:59:27 -0700
From:      "Brandon Harper" <lists-inet@booms.net>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Security zone

> Anyways, I can't figure out how one can pretend to have that level of
> control over the stack (per-app) and why one would want to have it
> anyways.
>
> "apps" are installed/deinstall, modified, upgraded, etc. It would be
> impossible and simply useless to have that kind of control.

I for one use ZoneAlarm Pro on my *cough* XP Pro workstation even though
there is another box which serves as my firewall/gateway.  Why?  Well,
although its not a 100% solid solution, it lets me know what other programs
are trying to access the internet.. such as Spyware or the possible backdoor
(such as BackOriface, etc).  No, I don't think its the best or most secure
thing in the world as programs are able to access the internet without my
knowledge via IE dll's anyhow, but every extra layer helps.

Its also nice to know when the version numbers of programs change.  Very
rarely do I change software on my machine because I do development work on
it, and its interesting to see if applications decide to update themselves,
etc.

YMMV,

- Brandon

<!-- http://www.booms.net -->