Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2011 22:15:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      Holger Kipp <holger.kipp@alogis.com>
To:        Ihor R <kaba@goodnet.com.ua>, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/154112: user can delete file witch owned by root:wheel

Dear Ihor,
=C2=A0
On January 18, 2011 at 9:10 PM Ihor R <kaba@goodnet.com.ua> wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR amd64/154112; it has been noted by GNA=
TS.

> From: Ihor R <kaba@goodnet.com.ua>
> To: <bug-followup@FreeBSD.org>, <kaba@goodnet.com.ua>
> Cc:=C2=A0
> Subject: Re: amd64/154112: user can delete file witch owned by root:wheel
> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 21:27:23 +0200
>
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:22:53 GMT, kib@FreeBSD.org wrote:
>=C2=A0 > User home directory is owned by user, right ?
>=C2=A0 > The system works as intended, read about unix file permission mod=
el.
>=C2=A0
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0The home user directory is owned by user, but I quote don't u=
nderstand
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0how I can provide hosting service for my users, if anybody us=
er can
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0delete any files in his home directory. By example:
>=C2=A0
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0if I want to block some resources, like site, by adding "deny=
 from all"
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0to .htaccess and replace owner of this file to root:wheel. Us=
er can not
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0change this file (rewrite) but he can delete this file any ti=
me he wish
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0- and the site will go on to work and can make some steps to =
damage
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0server.
>=C2=A0
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0Can you please explain me how can I get back to Unix where us=
ers can't
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0delete file which they not own. What steps I need to do to so=
lve current
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0problem.
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0I need that users can't change or delete files, that users no=
t own,
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0anyway it's (files) placed.
=C2=A0
It seems you really don't understand the concept of unix file permissions.
It has been around for ages and imho is as good as it can be.
=C2=A0
As you also mention .htaccess-files, this is another issue. Looking at
apache documentation, you'll find that these files should not be used
unless you _want_ your users to use them:
=C2=A0
See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/htaccess.html#when
=C2=A0
You might want to rework your current concept of hosting and permissions
=C2=A0
Apart from that, this is not a http/apache forum, so this is actually
the wrong mailing list :-(

Best regards,
Holger
--

Holger Kipp
Diplom-Mathematiker

 Tel. : +49 30 436 58 114
 Mobil: +49 178 36 58 114
 Fax. : +49 30 436 58 214
 Email: holger.kipp@alogis.com
 alogis AG
 Alt-Moabit 90b
 D-10559 Berlin

 web : http://www.alogis.com
 alogis AG
 Sitz/Registergericht: Berlin/AG Charlottenburg, HRB 71484
 Vorstand: Arne Friedrichs, Joern Samuelson
 Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Reinhard Mielke