Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:20:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        sharpmind@371.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: my printer doesnt work

sharpmind@371.net types:
> I'v A canon bjc-1000ps printer (a printer for home usage)
> I linked it to parallel port "lpt0"

Standard usage.

> From booting message I knew it had been probed.  Then I did as what
> the freebsd-handbook said: " lptest> /dev/lpt0" didnt work, so I
> guessed my printer didnt support plain text.  I created a file with
> postscript, then typed following command: "cat filename > /dev/lpt0"
> ,but still didn't work ,so i guessed my printer didnt support
> postscript.  Went on, I installed Ghostscript5.0 package, In
> ghostscript's configuration window I modified something necessary,
> and then began to print a test page; at this moment my printer
> worked, all seemed to be fine,however, when I began normal printing
> ,my printer still didnt work. To my surprise it still could print a
> test page.

Please wrap your lines before they get to be 80 characters long; it
makes them easier to read/reply to.

> 1.I wonder if there are some printers that supported neither plain
> text or postscript.

It's been a *long* time since I've seen a printer that wouldn't
respond to plain text. Most also either autodetect some kind of
graphics format (PCL, ghostscript, etc) or let you imbed graphics
commands in the text. However, if "lptest > /dve/lpt0" doesn't produce
any output, you may have a printer that doesn't do plain text.

> 2.I want to make my printer work.

Try installing the apsfilter package/port. It uses ghostscript as a
back end to talk to the printer, so things should work with that
installed. Make sure you let it modify your printcap, and you'll have
to use the lpr command to print, though.

	<mike