Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 1996 10:39:49 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   New DES library is close!

Hi folks

The new DES library is close to commit! It has taken long because the
Aussie author has been developing it as part of a larger library
(SSL/Crypto), and this project was delayed for many reasons.

Anyway - before I start the work, I will do some reminding:

It has already been agreed that:

 1) The new library is so far in advance of the old one that it will
 simply be imported and the old pushed into the Attic.

 2) The new library will be imported into secure/lib/libdes. The current
 one is in eBones/des.

 3) The header file will be installed into /usr/include/des.h (the current
 one is in /usr/include/kerberosIV/des.h).

In checking out the code, a small problem has (again) reared up its ugly
head; there is a name conflict between two functions in separate libraries.

There is a documented function called des_set_key in libdes, which in the
current library is not used (internally or externally). This function also
exists in libkrb (a Kerberos/eBones lib) and is used only by rlogin{d} and
rsh{d}. As this second use of this function (name) is undocumented, I
propose to change it. The new code has a des_set_key which is referred
to in a few places throughout the library, and as it is a bsd4.4
function (documented in the 4.4 PRM) I think we should keep it. Also
this library is now maintained code, and I believe we should keep changes
to a minimum.

Comments? Flames? Praise? Ca$h?

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key