Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 22:33:44 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Michael Elbel <Michael.Elbel@consol.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IA64

NOTE: I don't subscribe to -chat, so Cc me.

Michael Elbel writes:

> PCS never managed to sell any substantial number of boxes.

IIRC the only company that bought larger numbers was Hartmann & Braun.
Thay used them as front-ends for a process control system. I think we
(Compaq Enterprise Engineering Center) still have a maintenance contract
with them.

>Yeah I remember that there was somebody like Convex (was it Convex, Gary)
>who were interested in OEMing the Fireboxes as workstation type boxes
>together with their own multiprocessor i860 machines.

I can't remeber. I was at a show once where I saw some Taiwanese or
Koreans who had an i860-based box. Nothing ever came of it either.

>>> I believe that Gary Jennejohn still uses one of the beasts as an X
>>> terminal.
>
>>Cool. Does anybody have one for sale? :-)

I have several of them here in Munich. I also have a whole slew of the
50 MHz i860XPs, the multiprocessor capable version, which were never
used. They were trashed just recently (left over from PCS days).

I have no idea who asked about buying one of these things, since Michael
seems to have deleted that.

Anyway, you pay the shipping and you can have all the Fireboxes which I
have (3), including the Sony monitors which go with them. The graphics
card was designed to work with the Sony, although a modern Multi-Sync
monitor would probably work also. > It only does 60 Hz <

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de
Work - garyj@fkr.dec.com