Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 22:12:34 +0100
From:      Seth Leigh <seth@pengar.com>
To:        Tom Jackson <toj@gorillanet.gorilla.net>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running RC5

>Hi all,
>
>Is anyone successfully running this client normally. ie.
>running just *one* instance of the client and numcpu=2
>and achieve about 2X the normal crack rate.

To my understanding, this can't currently be done in FreeBSD, because there
is currently no type
of threading that has support from the kernel for multiple threads.
Without this support, the threads can't be scheduled to different
processors (or be scheduled preemptively, or only block the calling thread
for blocking io and other calls, etc.).  I currently run two independent
rc5 clients on my dual PPro 200, and each of these clients does about 526
kKeys/sec, for a total of 1052 kKeys/sec combined.  Not bad at all.  This
is with X running, with a whole bunch of other processes (different xterms,
top, etc), most of which aren't using up any significant cpu time.  The
absolute fastest speed I have seen on this machine was 537 kKeys/s per
processor, without X, and with nothing else running.  I don't have anything
against running two rc5 clients.  If I didn't have to I wouldn't, but it is
not a problem to do it.  I also run the rc5 client in an xterm rlogined
into my other FreeBSD machine, which uses a Cyrix P166+ cpu.  That machine
does around 309 kKeys/sec.  Between these two machines I get something like
450 blocks a day.  Plus I have several machines at work running rc5, so I
do about 1200-1500 blocks per day total.

Anyways, if you absolutely have to have kernel supported threads on your
machine, you'll have to go with Linux for the time being.  Their
LinuxThreads implementation uses one process per thread, so their threads
are independently schedulable.

Seth