Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 04:26:19 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        dillon@freebsd.org, jhb@freebsd.org
Subject:   that vm diff now makes it into single user mode.

If you're booting diskless you get to mounting/using the md0 disk
and you panic because I haven't made ufs_readwrite safe.

http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vm.diff

I'm having fun but a bit concerned, I have a lot of places where
locks are "optional", meaning that callers can have a lock or not
mostly depending on if the function being called will block or not.

Getting into UFS is starting to get somewhat hairy as there seems
like there's going to be a lock of lock/unlock or places where the
lock is held for a long period.

Anyhow, if you want to check it out, comment on what's going on
with it, let me know.  If you'd like to take a subsystem and work
out how to vm safe it let me know.  Just let me know, ok? :)

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred@freebsd.org]
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"