Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:09:17 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Anatoliy Dmytriyev <tolid@plab.ku.dk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: server freeze

Anatoliy Dmytriyev wrote:

>Hi, all!
>
>We have the strange problem wiht our server:
>perodicaly server freeze: no answers on ping, keyboard also freeze and
>we don't have any panic messages or strange messages in logs.
>Parameters of the server don't change long time, it was very stable machine
>long time...
>Maybe somebody have any idea: what/where is problem?

By "parameters of the server don't change in long time" do you mean that
you haven't changed the software or upgraded anything in a while?

If that's the case, you may want to start out by checking for impending
hardware failures.  Are all the fans still turning?  Everything running
reasonably cool?  You should probably download memtest and run it
for a while to check the RAM.  Stick a meter in the electric outlet and
make sure the power is sane - ditto for the ups.

As stuff gets old, it sometimes starts to die slowly and you'll see this
kind of thing.  If you haven't changed any software, this is probably
the first place to look.

-Bill