Date:      Thu, 1 May 2003 15:32:51 -0400
From:      "V. M. Smith" <vmsmith@grokking.org>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: how to configure a FreeBSD firewall to pass IPSec?

Guy:

FWIW, I tried ipfw/natd a few weeks ago but couldn't seem to get it to =
keep state properly through NAT. Eventually I gave up and turned to =
ipf/ipnat and have been happy with it ever since.

I thought I read somewhere that ipfw/natd is the more "native" of the =
two systems and been a part of FreeBSD for a longer time but someone =
more experienced with the OS than myself can probably shed more light on =
this. Also, I think ipfw has better application for traffic shaping, if =
that's a feature you want/need. Some claim you can successfully mix the =
two simultaneously but I'm not familiar (or brave) enough to try :)

VS

Message: 9