Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:40:24 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, sherwink@ix.netcom.com
Subject:   Re: Multiple FreeBSD Systems on a Single Disk

>I installed 2.2.2 in the first partition of my disk. It was previously a
>Linux partition. I have 2.2.1 installed in the second partition. It is
>all still there, I can mount it and access it, but I do not know how to
>boot it. Boot-Easy gives the same result for both F1 and F2, it boots
>the 2.2.2 partition.

Only booting from the first FreeBSD partition (slice) is supported.
The second one can be booted from by making it the first, e.g.,
by changing the partition type of the previous first one to something
other than 0xa5.  Multiple versions or backup versions of FreeBSD are
better handled by putting a small root file partition for each in the
same (first) slice.  It's easiest to have this slice on the first drive.
6 or 7 versions can easily be handled like this if you have enough slices
(perhaps on other drives) to hold all the different usr and var partitions.

Bruce