Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:48:52 -0400
From:      bush doctor <dervish@bantu.cl.msu.edu>
To:        Jeff Lush <jeff@nerdpower.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.3.9 port

Out of da blue Jeff Lush aka (jeff@nerdpower.com) said:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying desperately to install Apache 1.3.9 + PHP 3.0.12 + SSL on
> FreeBSD and am having some difficulties. I am in desperate need of some
> help.
>
> My version of FreeBSD is 3.1 stable. I have installed the ports upgrade kit.
Verify that you chose the correct upgrade kit and did a 'pkg_add /path/to/31upgrade.tgz'
or 'pkg_add 31upgrade.tgz' if you're in the dir that contains the upgrade kit.

> I have grabbed the "apache13-php3" directory from the FreeBSD website and
> extracted it into the "/usr/ports/www/" directory and have run "make
> install". I am then presented with a screen that allows me to choose config
> options. I choose SSL and PHP w/MySQL and proceed. I then get an error when
> make goes to "make all". Now whenever I run make install, I get the
> following error:
>
> homer# make install
> ===>  Building for apache+php+mod_ssl-1.3.9+3.0.12+2.4.2
> ===> src
> make: don't know how to make all. Stop
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> homer#
Do a 'make clean'.  Then type 'make' and select your options to build apache.
Typing 'make' performs the build.  When the prompt returns type 'make install'
to install the package.

> I do not know exactly why I get this error, but cannot seem to fix it. If
> anyone can offer some advice, I would really appreciate it.
When building ports the work dir contains a list of dot (.) files that informs
the build process at what step you're at in building the port.  Take a read
through /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk for mor info on the port building process.
For an overview read 'Chapter 4. Installing Applications: The Ports collection'
in the FreeBSD Handbook.

> Thanks,
>
> Jeff Lush

#:^)