Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 12:46:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        dnelson@emsphone.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Erroneous Ierrs from vx0

> > I've noticed that when I run 3Com's DOS config program that the card
> > reports 5K of receive buffers and 3K of send buffers.  Is this really
> > all there is on the card?  If so, I can understand the NFS problem, but
> > I can't believe a 100mbit card woud have such small buffers.
>
> A followup to this.
>
> I went twiddling around in the 3c90x config program.  The option 'Network
> Driver Optimization' has a direct bearing on this.  I set it from .. I
> think 'better performance' to 'normal' and the bad packets disappeared.

Most cards have a "server" setting, which is a bad thing to select;
it's for using the cords in a NetWare server, and optimizes the buffer
arrangement for the NetWare server stack utilization patterns (which
are moderately pessimal, since they depends on cooperative tasking for
thread switching, so can run to completion).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.