Date:      Sun, 2 Aug 1998 23:00:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      david@sparks.net
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   malloc question

>From lurking on this list a long time, I think I understand that the
4.4bsd malloc will always attempt to grab the next higher power of two of
memory.

That would certainly fit with my observed behavior.  I've an application
which contains very little code (text), but a huge data area.
Specifically, I want to be able to allocate 128 MB to an array and have a
meg or two for code on my 160 MB system.  But I get "can't allocate
memory" errors on my 2.2.6R system. My login_class is root, and bash
reports "unlimited" for shell datasize limits.  vm.maxdsize, a possible
problem on a bsdi system, doesn't seem to exist on FreeBSD.

What am I missing?  I must be able to run a 130 MB program on a 160 MB
system:)

Thanks,

--- David