Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 12:43:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Colin <cwass99@home.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug-fixing previous -RELEASE, was Re: speaking of 3.4...

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

> (Leaving Jordan's original message for context)
>
> I think I just "got it".   Is the following description correct:

Unfortunately it looks like Jordan misinterpreted your question - you were
right the first time. Once a -RELEASE is out the door it stays that way. A
-RELEASE is a snapshot of -STABLE at a particular point in tim (see the
FAQ for a pretty ascii picture of the process).

You were asking for a track which is "-RELEASE + bugfixes", which doesn't
strictly exist -- but the thing which most people seem to be missing in
this discussion is that what goes into -stable *IS* 95% bugfixes (or
trivial changes like adding an option to a command). Trying to add major
new features from -current often has the nasty habit of breaking things,
so it isn't done much, and most of the new features come in the next
(x.0-RELEASE) version.

-STABLE seems to be what you (and a lot of other people in this
discussion) want, you just might not know it.

Kris

----
Just remember, as you celebrate Thanksgiving with your family feasts of
turkey, cranberries, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, squash, corn,
cornbread, apples, pickles, dumplings, fish, orangutans, fruitbats,
breakfast cereals, and so forth, to keep in mind the true reason for the
season: The birth of Santa.