Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2008 00:38:02 +0930
From:      Wayne Sierke <ws@au.dyndns.ws>
To:        scuba@centroin.com.br
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Maildrop + sendmail

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 17:22 -0300, scuba@centroin.com.br wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  	Maybe it's not a FBSD problem, but I think someone here have the
> answer.
>  	I'm trying to use maildrop as MDA with sendmail, but I'm facing
> some troubles.
>  	That is, since some of my local users don't have defined a home
> dir, when maildrop is set to delivery mode (-d $u) in sendmail.cf, as
> shown in sendmail docs:
>
> FEATURE(`local_procmail', `/usr/local/bin/maildrop', `maildrop -d $u')
>
>   the following message starts to show:
>
> Aug 15 11:43:25 host1 maildrop[75586]: Unable to change to home directory.
>
>  	If, on the other hand, I set it in sendmail as in manual mode:
>
> FEATURE(`local_procmail', `/usr/local/bin/maildrop', `maildrop /usr/local/etc/maildroprc')
>
>  	The maildrop processes start to grow, and the following message
> starts to show:
>
> Aug 15 12:02:32 host1 sm-mta[83296]: m7FEvVMM083288: timeout waiting for
> input from host1.mydomain.com during client greeting
>
> Aug 15 12:02:32 host1 sm-mta[83296]: m7FEvVMM083288: smtpquit: mailer local
> exited with exit value 75
>
>  	It seems that no message body is sent to maildrop.
>  	Does any of you have successfully configured maildrop+sendmail in
> an scenario like that?

I don't use the 'local_procmail' feature of sendmail so can't comment on
those specific issues. I have a mail server using sendmail/maildrop and
use /etc/mail/virtusertable and /etc/mail/aliases, e.g.:

        alias1@domain1.name user-alias
        alias2@domain2.name user-alias

        user-alias:        "| /usr/local/bin/maildrop -d user@domain.name"

I don't know off-hand whether or how using the 'local_procmail' feature
impacts on the use of aliases and virtusertable, but there might be a
solution in there for you.

If you can't find a solution you might also try asking on the maildrop
users list.

Wayne