Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 20:20:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        vdongre@rolta.com (Vrushal Dongre)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with ELM

Vrushal Dongre:
 >I have a FBSD 2.0 mailserver & I have installed ELM on the system.
 >The compilation went OK .
 >But now when I type elm at the prompt I get the following messages :-
 >
 >  Waiting  to read mailbox while mail is being received: attempt #n
 >
 >After 7 attempts it says:-
 >  Giving up after 7 iteration.
 >  Please try to read your mail again in a few minutes.
 >  Timed out on locking mailbox. Leaving program.
 >
 >Can anyone tell me what I have to do to make ELM work ? If I make any changes
 >to the configuration file will I have to recompile the whole thing again ?
 >i.e. run --> 'make all ' ?

Here's what I'm using in my ELM (from config.h):

/*#define       USE_FLOCK_LOCKING*/             /**/

#define USE_DOTLOCK_LOCKING             /**/

#define USE_FCNTL_LOCKING       /**/

#define         LOCK_DIR        "/var/spool/uucp"       /**/

then, pick a group that all your mail users will be in (e.g. staff) and
then (as root):

cd /var
chgrp staff mail
chmod 2777 mail