Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 16:18:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        majordomo@freebsd.org@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel panics and hangs with 2.2.5?

This is bizarre and baffling.

Machine A and B have 2.2.5-RELEASE on them. Machine B was installed with
2.2.5 from CD. Machine A used to have 2.2.2-RELEASE (and older ones
going back even into 2.1.x) on it, but was upgraded from the 2.2.5-RELEASE
source with a 'make world', a kernel rebuild, and a disklabel -B.
They are both ASUS motherboards with K6-200s. Both have SCSI, but B
has a 2940 and A has the NCR controller.

The big difference between the two is that machine B has been
panicing a lot lately. Each one has been different, so I can't
really pin it down, but ever since I upgraded B to 2.2.5 it
has had a panic or a freeze about once every 12 hours or so.

This afternoon it was a panic: m_copym. The only failure that has
happened twice is the freeze. When this happens, the console becomes
unresponsive, but the box is pingable. Opening TCP sockets to
LISTENing ports on the box connect, but nothing happens. On disconnect,
the source machine shows these sockets going into FIN_WAIT_2
until B is rebooted. It's as if the machine suddenly decided to stop
running any processes, but to otherwise keep going. ?!

Both machines are running rc5des (www.distributed.net), so the load
averages are always at least one, though B gets slightly more use than
A.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I build world again?