Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 18:43:53 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Speedingup the "worldstone"

>I think you've already done things nicely by spreading out the disk i/o,
>compiles are also CPU intensive so the x486 looks like your bottle neck.
>I'm skepical that you can really get the disks singing in harmony to take
>advantage of Ultra Wide.  Though it's generally a good thing to have
>advances in bus architectures so that it puts pressure on the peripherals
>to catch up.

I can tell you, for a fact, that you won't get Ultra Wide bandwidth
out of a 486 on real filesystem data.  The 486 design just doesn't
have enough power.  The best you'll probably do, on real-world use, is
maxing out fast SCSI (10MB/s), and then only if you tune well.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net