Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 21:59:12 -0400
From:      "Predius" <predius@gwi.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD needs to awake and come out of SERVER only market!

Alot of the percieved instability with 2k/NT has to do with how close you
are to a stock install.  Out of the box, if you don't add a single 3rd party
driver, 2k can be pretty solid, but slow and limited.  It's when you start
putting drivers to 2k that it's reliability begins to erode.  Alot of
drivers out there stink, infact they are just plain aweful.  Creative SB
drivers, any card, under SMP come to mind first.  Certain Linksys nics
require hacked drivers to stop bluescreening, etc.  If the hardware itself
is known solid and you get BSOD's, write down the error and search for it
online.  99% of them can be prevented.  To put it annother way, I have no
qualms about putting 2k boxes into production use provided I am allowed to
pick and choose the hardware and do the install myself. : )

2k can be made amazingly solid, it just takes some work, and less faith in
hardware vendors getting the software side of the equation right.

Joshua Coombs