Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:34:59 +0100
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Panic with CD use

--=-eO2tX+LlOpalz3KXU6GC

V =FAt, 23. 12. 2003 v 00:10, Doug White p=ED=B9e:

> > This is a 'me too' report for the problems that have been reported on
> > this list over the last few weeks with problems ripping CDs and/or
> > mounting CDs.  I have not attached a panic report as it is essentially
> > the same as those already reported (a page fault in
> > devstat_remove_entry), but I can if requested.
>=20
> I can reproduce this. It appears to be geom doing something goofy.  The
> cdparanoia command causes geom to "taste" the audio CD and sets up the
> devices as such.  For the mount, though, you are probably doing
>=20
> mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /mnt
>=20
> When you do this, geom does a re-taste of the disc and somewhere between
> removing the old devices and instantiating the new, something ends up
> zeroed and devstat trips over it.
>=20
> Whats worse, there is no workaround; putting an audio CD in your -current
> box makes it impossible to use any other CD until you reboot. Grrr.

There is a workaround, sortof. If you have CD drive alone
on ATA channel 1, do

atacontrol detach 1
atacontrol attach 1

Voila, works :)

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

--=-eO2tX+LlOpalz3KXU6GC
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_podepsan=E1?= =?iso-8859-2?Q?_=E8=E1st?=
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_zpr=E1vy?=

--=-eO2tX+LlOpalz3KXU6GC--