Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:58:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        john cooper <john@isi.co.jp>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au, ticso@cicely.de, john@isi.co.jp
Subject:   Re: SCSI vs. DMA33..

    The biggest issue with IDE is that it's a serialized interface.  You
    can only run one command at a time to one device at a time and you
    have to wait for it to complete before you can run another command
    to the same device or another device.  The throughput is therefore
    irrelevant, since most disks can't do more then 9 MBytes/sec off
    the platter anyway (note: the latest bleeding edge IBM drives can
    apparently do 20 MBytes/sec or better off the platter).  IDE also isn't
    too hot when it comes to bad sector remapping or multiple devices,
    which is why most PC's come with two separate IDE busses these days.  One
    for the CDRom, and one for the disk, nor is IDE necessarily reliable
    when sharing a bus in a master-slave configuration, even if both drives
    are the same brand.

    On the otherhand, a 40 MByte/sec SCSI bus with four 9 MByte/sec drives
    on it can actually be doing 36 MBytes/sec on the bus.

    Since, typically, anything approaching that kind of bandwidth is also
    an indication for the need for performance, it seems silly to me
    to even begin to compare IDE with SCSI no matter what the DMA transfer
    bandwidth of the IDE device is.

    I suppose if you never needed to seek the drive it might matter, but the
    moment you start needing to seek the drive the platter bandwidth goes
    to pot.  The best a fully saturated randomly seeking disk can do is
    typically less then 2 MBytes/sec using 16K reads, and it doesn't get
    much better with larger reads.  It takes truely large reads (256 KBytes
    or larger) between seeks to even approach the platter's bandwidth.  The
    size of the disk in the seeking case is irrelevant, really, because
    voice-coil technology has not gone through the same insane technology
    leaps that the disk heads have gone through.

    IDE is still useful when you don't need performance, and I would say
    that 80% of the server installations these days fall into the 'don't
    need the performance' category.  My home machines are a mix of IDE and
    SCSI, but all of the rack mount FreeBSD boxes in BEST's machine room
    are SCSI-only.  If you do need performance, you go with SCSI.

					-Matt
:
:Hi,
:    Just wondering if anyone has any _objective_ opinion on
:the performance of say wide SCSI2 vs. DMA33 IDE drives [running
:on contemporary motherboards].  The theoretical throughputs of
:40MBs and 33MBs don't tell me a whole lot.  I know SCSI was the
:choice for performance in the past, however I'm curious what
:others are seeing in actual usage these days.
:
:Thanks,
:
:-john
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)