Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:25:28 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Joao Paulo Campello <john@netpe.com.br>
Cc:        marcel@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: linux_base6.1

Joao Paulo Campello wrote:

>     But the java and javac binaries complained about not finding the
> /usr/bin/expr. I thought if I have linux_base6.1 installed on my system
> EVERYTHING would work just like I was in a linux box. But now I notice
> it isn't true.

The linux_base port installs a subset of what you would normally find on
a Linux box. There's no point in installing a complete Linux system. The
bottomline is that it is possible that a certain application expects a
certain binary to be in a certain directory while it isn't actually
there. This can easily be solved (just as a real Linux system): Install
the appropriate RPM (if applicable)...

> My question is: How can I execute Linux ELF programs with near 100%
> compatibility when the programas are all located in /compat/linux and some
> programs try searching it in thei own linux pathes, like /usr/bin/expr,
> that in my system is in /compat/linux/usr/bin/expr.

Run Linux. You'll have near 100% compatibility there, although I'm not
guaranteeing anything :-)

Serious: We try to give the best possible compatibility given certain
parameters. This means that you shouldn't expect "Plug-n-Play"
behaviour. We will however try to make running Linux binaries as easy as
possible. Our ports collection helps bridge the gap.

HTH,

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org