Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:09:06 +0100
From:      Alex Le Heux <alexlh@funk.org>
To:        Kshitij Gunjikar <kshitijgunjikar@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering packets received through an ipsec tunnel

Hi,

I'm not worried about people modifying the IPSec packets en route, that's
what we have strong crypto for.

I am worried about giving the network at the other end of the tunnel full
access to mine. In only a few of the many possible IPSec implementations do
both ends of the tunnel follow the same security policies. And even then I
might want to use filtering.

I tend to see an IPSec tunnel more like a leased line that happens to use
an IP network as iunderlying transport. Just as with a leased line I want
to be able to filter packets going in and out, even though I may not use
that filtering capability in all circumstances.

Although using filters in this way on a machine that has multiple tunnels
that go up and down could cause some headaches...

Cheers,

Alex

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 07:10:39PM +0530, Kshitij Gunjikar wrote:
> Hi,
>   If you have a IPSec packet you can't see the data(even if u can it's
> useless as it's encrypted). unless you exchange keys and know what the
> encryption algorithm we can't decrypt and know the information being passed.
> Hence, the fact that we are using IPsec gives greater security than any
> firewall can. You can't possibly break a 128-bit encryption. till now I
> don't think it has been broken.
>
> if you want restrict somebody in your internal network from using IPSec.
> Then yes we must be able to do it with a firewall.
> If somebody in your trusted internal network hacks then you are in trouble .
> If I'm not wrong few firewalls take care of it .
>
> Also, if some body corrupts the encrypted packet then we can discard it at
> time of decryption.
>
> Regards
> Kshitij

"Although the force from the engine is a lot for a motorcycle, the Earth is
not impressed. The Motorcycle and I loose the 'F' and 'm' battle and have to
consume all the 'a' in the form of sheer unadulterated acceleration."
                                        - Ian Orr