Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 02:44:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Denny White <dennyboy@cableone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xdm, xwrapper, startx problems

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Denny White wrote:

> Ok, I've tried running xdm. X won't load
> at all for root, & tries for users but
> stops. Startx works for root only. When
> I run Xwrapper, I get the following:
> execve failed for /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 (errno 2)
> I know I shouldn't run X as root for sure,
> but right now, that's the only way I can
> do it. I'm running 4.3 stable on a Toshiba
> 4015cdt laptop. Everything else is running
> fine. Use the laptop for email & studying
> docs, info, etc. while I'm away on my job.
> I know I can maybe do a cvsup & rebuild
> everything & make it work again for awhile,
> but eventually it always screws up again.
> Can someone at least tell me why this
> happens everytime & just point me to read
> what's pertinent. Not looking for easy fix,
> just trying to get X working for users &
> more than willing to read whatever I need
> to. Only problem is, I've had a really hard
> time in the past understanding what I read
> on this problem. Thanks for any & all help!
>
> Never eat more than
> you can lift.
>         Miss Piggy

Thank you for this advice from Miss Piggy; it seems like a
good rule.

My experient with X-4, which you are using? is that if you
are root as a consequence of using su -m, it puts files in
your user's home directory (e.g., .Xauthority) that are owned
by root:<user> user and really mess things up.  KDE also has
this problem.

If you delete these files, and then startx as a user (assuming
you kill xdm, which I think is a painful way to start X on a
machine that's basically a workstation for a single user, even
though you may want several logins open at once), it should work.

xwrapper generally doesn't have to be "run", it takes care of
itself if it's there.

If you get other messages on login that the user doesn't "own"
the proper files, you can try deleting these too and then using
startx as a user.

X has gotten so much more security-conscious, and security
is always a pain. :(

	Annelise

P.S. I used to think that it was good to alias su to su -m in
your shell startup files, but I'm wondering now if that's
such a great idea.
--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC