Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 19:25:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poweroff failes with Ati Rage 128

Hanspeter Roth writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I have an Ati Rage 128 Pro TF installed with FreeBsd 4.6.2-Release.
 > When FreeBsd has only been in `Textmode' the shutdown with poweroff
 > works. Once Xfree86 had been activated the PC doesn't poweroff when
 > shut down.

I have similar, but different, strange problems.

I have an intel D845EBG2 with an Rage 128 Pro AGP 4x running -current.
I *can* do a shutdown -p (acpi), but I cannot suspend.  After I
suspend and resume the machine, I no longer have video.  Both text
mode and in X.

Another interesting bogosity is that DPMS does not work.

After walking away from the computer after issuing 'sleep 600;xset q',
I see this:

PMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 300    Suspend: 360    Off: 420
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is in Suspend

But the monitor is on!  D'oh!

Have you tried copying your linux module
(/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o) and running it on FreeBSD?
XFree86 video driver modules built for one x86 elf platform should
work on any other x86 elf platform.

Drew