Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 23:47:08 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice sought on PnP configuration

Hi,

> Any comments on the above ? Right now I am doing steps in the order 1,
> 5, 6, 3 (2 and 4 are not necessary if the bios works), but it can
> fail in some cases for the reasons stated above.

do you have the MindShare Inc. book on PnP?  I've never looked inside it,
but if its half as good as their other books (Pentium Processor System
Architecture, etc.) it would probably prove invaluable:

Plus and Play System Architecture,
MindShare Inc., Tom Shanley, Don Anderson

Addison Wesley Longman
0-201-41013-30  4/95  Soft Cover  400 pages

Designed as a companion volume to the official hardware design
guide for Windows 95, this book provides a detailed hardware and
software description of the Plug and Play technology that is
integrated into Windows 95 and will soon appear in other operating
systems, including Windows NT. In addition to coverage of ISA and
EISA Plug and Play, PCMCIA and PCI are also discussed. Tom
Shanley provides a comprehensive treatment of the subject
including:
                        Legacy ISA drawbacks
                        Plug and Play EISA and ISA cards
                        Windows 95 PCI problems
                        Windows 95 PCMCIA enhancements
                        Plug and Play terminology defined
                        Description of configuration registers
                        Resource data structure
                        Plug and Play BIOS
                        Device ID format and Windows 95 device IDs

--
Steve Passe	| powered by