Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 09:33:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Subject:   Dual PII and environmental monitoring

I've been researching dual PII boards and have arrived at a quandry about
environmental monitoring.  Ideally I would like to be able to remotely
query server machines to check for fan failures and overheating.  At home
where I have 7200rpm disks, no air conditioning and summer temperatures
that often approach 40C, operating temperatures are a concern.

Tyan and ASUS use the National Semiconductor LM78 for monitoring internal
temperature, fan speed, etc.  There is Linux support for reading this
information and an ostensibly complete data sheet available from national
at http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM78.pdf.  Likewise, the Intel DK440LX
uses the LM79 - data sheet also available.

Gigabyte has their own ACOPS technology which they claim is "supported" by
all operating systems in that (the bios?) can sense (purportedly more
reliably than LM78 based systems) CPU overheating conditions and "auto
speed down" the system.  Also, the chassis speaker sounds an audible
alarm.  http://www.giga-byte.com/RACOPS2.html

Gigabyte MB's are cost effective and have a good reputation from people on
this list; however, it would appear that contrary to their marketing
rhetoric ACOPS is a closed-door solution that is a win only for MS$ users
who can realize the unmitigatably overwhelming benefits of Gigabyte's
bundled patented SIV application.

Comments?  Technical references from Gigabyte to match National's open,
pro free software approach?  I can't find them.

-Chris