Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:13:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Jeff Gray <jwgray@netbox.com>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, Jeff Gray <jwg@netbox.com>, Questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fixed IP, losing net connection

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Jeff Gray wrote:
> If I run netstat it shows the local connection only.  That is, the telnets
> to my IP on that machine.  Then it hangs until I hit control C, never
> finds httpd or sendmail, both running according to ps.

	That sounds like its having problems performing a reverse DNS
lookup.  Give it time.  If its only a reverse lookup problem, it'll add
about 2-5 minutes to the startup time of many daemons like sendmail.

> Cable modem connected to a hub.  Hub has three machines on it.
> FreeBSD 3.3   new machine, the one with the problem.
> FreeBSD 2.2.6 working perfectly as best as I can tell, also fixed IP
> A Mac, with a DHCP connection  working normally

	When the 3.3 box has problems, is it just from outside your LAN or
do the Mac and 2.2.6 box also have problems connection to the 3.3 box.
If you install and run netatalk on the 3.3 box, can the Mac connect to its
AppleShare services (over AppleTalk, not IP) while the 3.3 box is
experiencing the problem?  Can it connect to its AppleShare-over-IP
services while its experiencing the problem?  If it can't connect to the
AppleShare over AppleTalk services, then its more than an IP problem.

						Jaime