Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 09:11:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      bugs@freebsd.netcom.com (Mark Hittinger)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login ids > 7 (fwd)

> On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, Daniel Leeds wrote:
> > can freebsd support extended login ids?
> > ie, a user with 10 characters instead of 7?
> andreas@knobel.gun.de then said:
> Easy to try ..
> vipw -> user xxxxxxxxxx (10 char length ) -> no
> vipw -> user   xxxxxxxx  (8 char length ) -> yes

I did this on another box that was a conversion from an older 'interactive'
unix system where there were tons of 10 character usernames in place.

The magic spot is /usr/include/wtmp.h   change WT_NAMESIZE to 10.  The
generic kernel already seems to have the kernel data structure set to hold
up to 11 characters, so I didn't have to change that (thankfully).

Actually change /usr/src/include/wtmp.h also for your make world.

You *will* need to make world to recompile all sorts of things.  You also
need to recompile xterm so that it's wtmp entry is correct(assuming you
will run X on the box).  As Terry pointed out, if you plan on using YP then
you are screwed if you do this.  I might rudely remark that if you use YP
you are screwed in any event :-)

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
Netcom/Dallas