Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 14:54:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fibrechannel

> > Ah. Well, let's try and architect one so that IP && SCSI are just one of a

(as Julian pointed out to me: "design" would have been a better verb)

> > set of ULPs on top of this. The Qlogic architecture is a bit more
> > automatic transmission-like....
>
> The approach you mention is what the FC standards advocate, I think it is a
> good thing to layer it.
>
> Some other things that need thought, esp. on fabrics: how to 'wire down'
> a FC device.
>
> I think something like:
>
> disk            da0     at fcloop 0 wwn=<64bitnumber>
> disk		da1	at fabric 1 wwn=<64bitnumber>
>
> Maybe one could even omit the fcloop 0 stuff, as the wwn should be
> sufficient, being worldwide unique etc.
>
> These are currently some first random thoughts..

Yes- this indeed is a problem- if you believe wiring down is important.
Distinguising between loop and fabric is not likely to be a good thing-
but association with a WWN is a good thing- although I'd really like to
see this done in DEVFS, where we could also assign unique numbers to
non-WWN based devices (parallel SCSI disks with VPD info that gives serial
number...).

> > > Well, fabrics are a bit on the expensive side. I could probably test it
> > > at work but that is quite awkward. I don't have any Qlogic FC cards so
> > > I can't really help you testing the fabric functionality.
> >
> > Okay.
>
> What is the part# for the Qlogic FC adapter anyway? One never knows...

The Qlogic 2100. The 2200 is out, but I haven't gotten one or a firmware
spec for it yet.