Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:03:44 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any success with CirrusLogic 6729/6730???

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa wrote:

> > This is specifically why we still use hint information from the
> > configuration file.  The goal, however, is to get away from compiling
> > that hint information into the kernel.
>
> # newconfig members' (me too) opinion below:
>
> Our newconfig is better than yours new-bus in this point.
> Newconfig supports both dynamic configration and static configuration,
> so newconfig can do what new-bus can do, and also newconfig can
> support particular configurations which new-bus can't.
> (e.g. specially tuned kernel for particular purpose.)

I would be interested in a specific example here. I don't understand what
kind of tuning you are suggesting.

> Also, in newconfig case, we don't have to load the code which support
> an ISA PCIC, if only an PCI PCIC code is needed, because we split an
> PCIC driver to three part, an ISA attachment, an PCI attachment, and
> bus independent shared part.  In new-bus case, we suppose that you
> have to load both the code which supports an PCI PCIC and the code
> which supports an ISA PCIC. So, newconfig kernel is smaller and
> faster to boot and more dynamic than new-bus.
> Especially because new-bus doesn't have the feature to treat the
> shared part of the device driver like this.

This is not correct.  A driver can be trivially split up into attachment
points and implementations.  The interface definition system can actually
make this easier (IMHO of course).  The mcclock driver in FreeBSD/alpha
(derived from the NetBSD driver) does this.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com