Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 1999 20:39:30 +0200
From:      Jukka =?iso-8859-1?Q?Simil=E4?= <juksi@iname.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lets Endorse KDE Was: some slashdot thread

> On 01-Feb-99 Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > I mostly agree with Jason on this point. Making KDE an easily-
> > installable option, if not the default (remember, even XFree(& isn't
> > installed by default), and having somebody look after KDE to make sure
> > it works out of the box, may (will?) do wonders for FreeBSD's
> > popularity with the "masses".

My opinion:
KDE doesn't attract people to use fbsd instead of w95/98/nt
 - and why?
when one has just installed fbsd, and he sees this option
 "do you want to install the default desktop of freebsd, KDE",

well propably he istalls it, and is amazed and happy:
nice, this looks familiar and i know how to use this.
then he tries some functions and notices, this isn't the same
as my windows.. why should I use this when my windows has the
same looking and that has to mean it is as good as this is?
-- back to windows.

or maybe after he has installed the KDE he notices:
What, this looks just like windows! This must be as stupid as it is!
I'll buy RedHat!

Besides KDE eats your comp and swallows it in HUGE pieces. I mean
if you have an old 486 then KDE is not an option.

And I also think it would be better to have the own default wm:
  * i think afterstep is nice looking, beats windows,
    but it hasn't enough configurability though *
already if I tell someone I use freebsd (btw I use w95 at the mom;) he
asks
me:"isn't it something like linux?" or even "you mean linux, right?"
(I'm finnish, but i guess it's the same elsewhere)
I bet if Freebsd had the same wm as sco-linux it would be even more
confusing.

-
Jukka S