Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:39:16 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating p5-* ports for perl-5.005_01

Satoshi Asami wrote:
> "wrote"? :)

Damn mailer broken :-(

> Will there be anything left behind?  I was under the impression that
> 5.00n+1 is always a strict superset of 5.00n. :)

Oh, no! They change things in wierd-and-wonderful ways.

> Seriously, maybe you're right.  I don't even pretend to know anything
> about perl binaries (didn't even know they are binary!), so I'll stop
> here.

:-)

>  * Sure. That also makes sense. I can go that way too. Given that it seems
>  * to be receiving more support, Ill doo that until the flames arrive :-).
>
> Ok, but just don't blame it on me if people don't like it. :>

All my own work. The flames will be pretty cool by the time they cross the
Atlantic :-)

> I don't mind them going into /usr/local/man/man3, but maybe some
> others do.  how about /usr/local/share/perl/man/man3, maybe with the
> version number inserted somewhere to be consistent (-ly annoying) with
> others?  (Or are manpages version-dependent too?)

They can be, but this can be fixed. I like /usr/local/share/perl5/man/...

> Ok, will commit in a minute.  (Call me paranoid, but I'm testing it
> again...since I backed that part out of my earlier commit and
> re-merged it....)

Cool. The question is not whether you are paranoid or not, the questions is
wheter you are paranoid _enough_. :-)

> But then some things moved under version-specific or machine-specific
> directories while some others didn't.  That was what was confusing me.

The guys making the packages didn't always get it right.

> Oh well.  I was just "find"ing the filenames and patching up the
> PLISTs.  I'm not going to fix any more perl ports anyway.  The rest is
> someone else's problem. :)

Great things, SEP fields :-)

Mark Murray