Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:21:15 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Lex <lex@blacktrap.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dhcp server error.

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 11:18:18AM +0200, Lex wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 02:26:41AM -0400, dave wrote:
> > Hello,
> >     I've got a slight error running dhcpd on fbsd 4.0. I'm running the command:
> > /usr/local/sbin/dhcpd
> > in my rc.conf file. I'm getting the error:
> > dhcp: unable to bind to host address, address already in use.
> > Exiting.
> >     Dhcpd is the only item loading in rc.conf dealing with my ethernet interface. The server itself appears to work properly this error is more annoying than anything else, has anyone seen it?
> > Thanks.
> > Dave.
> >

> If the server works properly after the 'Exiting' message, my guess is you are
> trying to launch it twice (the 'address already in use' message probably means
> that too). I assume you meant rc.local and not rc.conf? Make sure that dhcpd
> is not run from some other place (eg /usr/local/etc/rc.d).

No, he meant he put a command in rc.conf since that would explain the
error messages. To quote rc.conf(5),

     The purpose of rc.conf is not to run commands or perform system startup
     actions directly.	Instead, it is included by the various generic startup
     scripts in /etc which conditionalize their internal actions according to
     the settings found there.

DO NOT PUT COMMANDS IN rc.conf. rc.conf is not guaranteed to be
sourced only once. It is also sourced by other system programs at
times other than boot (e.g. periodic(8)).