Date:      Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:43:22 GMT
From:      Manuel Schiller <mala@hinterbergen.de>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   usb/79524: printing to Minolta PagePro 1[23]xxW via USB fails with "device busy"

>Number:         79524
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       printing to Minolta PagePro 1[23]xxW via USB fails with "device busy"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD freebsd.hinter.bergen 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov  5 04:19:18 UTC 2004     root@harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

This is a vmware box (Linux guest OS), but the problem is not related to that fact, other people experience it as well.
      When sending printer data to the USB port (both /dev/ulpt0 and /dev/unlpt0), the program used to transfer the data dies with "device busy" when the printer is in fact ready to take the data. I've verified that the printer driver output is valid (same input produces same output on both Linux and FreeBSD; I'm developing the driver that transforms pbmraw input to printer language). The printer is recognized correctly by the kernel, and it associated the ulpt driver with the device. So I think that printing ought to work. I've been alerted to the problem by Mr. Rogoza, who has already posted on the USB mailing list and apparently not recieved a reply. Having tried again to post to the USB mailing list, not getting an answer, I decided to try with a PR now. I know you'll probably need more information to track this issue down, but I don't feel familiar enough to the FreeBSD kernel to try and track things down myself. Unless you happen to have this kind of printer, you'll pro
 bably have difficulties to track this. So if you can, please mail me providing instructions on how to gather the neccessary information.
>How-To-Repeat:
      Use cat and a pipe to send printer data to the printer.