Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 22:46:52 -0400
From:      Miroslav Pendev <shadow@CPE0004761ac738-CM00109515bc65.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com>
To:        "Brian M. Kincaid" <bmk@adsl-64-174-159-18.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multibooting FBSD, WinME and WinXP -- how do you do it?

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 07:04:02PM -0700, Brian M. Kincaid wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need some help in setting up a multiboot environment with FreeBSD, WinME,
> and WinXP. I have separate disks available to be dedicated to each operating
> system.
>
> I have been running a dual-boot system with FreeBSD-WinME for some time with
> no problems. When I bought a new machine, it came with WinXP with lots of
> bells and whistles. I installed FreeBSD 4.6 on one of the extra disks, and I
> have been running a dual-boot FreeBSD and WinXP system for about a week.
>
> Certain critical Windows applications just plain don't work under WinXP, and
> the NTFS drivers in FreeBSD apparently support reading but not writing of NTFS
> file systems mounted under FreeBSD. I have become quite used to being able to
> read and write FAT32-based files directly from FreeBSD.
>
> Hence, I decided to try to go the triple-boot route.
>
> Any suggestions,
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Brian

Hi Brian!

I have triple boot Win2000 - Win XP and FreeBSD 4.6 on my work system.
I need XP and 4.6 basicaly for tests and builds :->

I would recommend you to install WinME first - on FAT32 partition,
then Win XP, on other FAT32 partition and then FreeBSD 4.6 ;-)
with the boot manager!!!
Just be shure to choose to install the boot manager on the booting disk.

If you do not need some NTFS special 'crap' you can live with FAT32.
FAT32 is not good for large drives - but anyways... you can access it from
FreeBSD.

You may know this but: be sure to upgrate your ports before doing
any installations of ports. The build in 4.6 RELEASE Apache is with
security hole and there are some exploits in the wild, so...
Do not forget to patch your source against libc resolv problem, too and
of course... install at least OpenSSH 3.4 ;-)

Hope that helps!

--Miro