Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:43:11 -0700
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        William Fletcher <ultraviolet@epweb.co.za>
Subject:   Re: Zsh fork bomb paniced my kernel.

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 05:55:16PM +0200, William Fletcher wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My machine just bombed when I did the following stupid command.
> > :(){:|:};:
> > Zsh chewed up everything on the machine...
> > I ran it knowing I'd probably have to reboot.
> >
> > But, I hardly expected it to panic.
> >
> > Or, was that normal?
>
> Yes, this is a FAQ, and why resource limits exist.  man login.conf

I don't think we have resource limits for this particular DOS.
The backtrace seems to indicate that he's filling the kernel map
with pipe buffers, and the system always panics when the kernel
map fills up.  I would expect that we could solve the problem by
using a separate map for pipe buffers, but that probably entails
other issues I'm unaware of.  Perhaps a PR should be filed.