Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:30:17 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Brandon Williams <drift@sigmatel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS file locking in 4.2-RELEASE

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 11:13:59AM -0600, Brandon Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologize if this has been discussed, but I searched the archives and
> could not find any mention of it, at least specifically for 4.2.

Yes, it has been discussed several times. Both on -questions and on -stable.
Search harder next time.

> rpc.lockd does not appear to work when the freebsd box is acting as an nfs
> fileserver and a solaris 7 client attempts to lock a file (specifically
> with cadence, a CAD app.)
>
> I realize that in /etc/defaults/rc.conf rpc.lockd is commented as being
> broken, but there is not mention of this in the man page, or what, if any,
> functionality lockd currently has.

It is just a dummy implementation that basically says "Sure, have a lock"
whenever an application asks for a lock, but without doing any actual
locking.
The only reason for using it is if you have an application that insists on
getting a lock without really needing it.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson