Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 16:55:28 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        dannyman@dannyland.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/hosts.deny ALL: ALL not working

In message <199807271701.KAA25148@pau-amma.whistle.com>, David Wolfskill wrote:
} >Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 16:46:12 -0500
} >From: dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>
}
} >Could someone give me a bit of advise as to just what it is that I am missin
} g
} >here?
}
} >...
}
} >Yes, I _do_ have the tcp_wrapper port installed, yes I experience this probl
} em
} >on -CURRENT and -STABLE ... it seems that /etc/hosts.(allow|deny) don't do
} >anything no matter *what* I do to them, and yes I have RTFM 'til my eyes are
} >bloody ... :<
}
} Be sure you RT *correct* FM.
}
} The port enables the "-DPROCESS_OPTIONS" flag, which means that an
} "extended" control language is enabled.  Salient points are:
}
} * TCP wrappers only uses a single file (which may be hosts.allow or
}   hosts.deny), and

No.  It is true that you _can_ set it up to do both denying and accepting
from one file, but it doesn't have to be that way.  As others have pointed
out, the port uses control files in /usr/local/etc rather than in /etc.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com