Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 10:06:02 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Juergen Nickelsen <ni@tellique.de>
Cc:        AlexTu@acer.com.tw, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD source code

Juergen Nickelsen wrote:

> AlexTu@acer.com.tw wrote:
>
> > 1. Please show me the FreeBSD source code path.
>
> Look at e. g.
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.2-STABLE/src/ for the
> sources of FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE. Look around that place for other
> snapshots and/or releases.
>
> >   2. I can't find the unpack procedure for PC plateform. Is it
> > possible to extract this source code in the PC DOS environment?
>
> Hmm, I don't know any tools for PC-DOS to extract the tar files. But if
> by chance you can get access to a PC running MS Windows 95, 98, or NT, I
> see two ways to do that:

The GNU tools for DOS have tar and both gzip and gunzip. The tar won't
do a zxvf to unpack a tarball.

> (a) Install GNU-Win32 by Cygnus Solutions (see
> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/). This (freely available) package
> contains several of the usual Unix utilities for MS Windows (win32). You
> shoudl then be able to run the "install.sh" of the FreeBSD source
> distribution directly.
>
> (b) Get WinZip (http://www.winzip.com/). Concatenate the files of a
> source package to a file with a name ending with .tar.gz, e. g.
>
>     C:\freebsd-sources> copy /b sbin.aa+sbin.ab+sbin.ac sbin.tar.gz

This has a tendancy to be on the hard way of doing things. For
example, in DOS, Win 9x, and NT, you could have typed "copy /b sbin.??
sbin.tgz". If they don't have Win98 or NT 4+, the ".tar.gz" can create
a mangled file name something like sbin~1. The .tgz has the same
meaning to WinZip, which is the only archive product that handles
tared and zipped long filenames.

The first time I tried my copy on the /bin directory I used copy /b
bin.* bin.tgz. This very quickly copied bin.aa to bin.dx and then
added bin.inf and mtree to my bin.tgz file. The files all have two
letter extensions and the two letter wildcard "??" works just fine.

Kent

> Open the .tar.gz file with WinZip.
>
> Greetings, Juergen.
>
> --
> Juergen Nickelsen <ni@tellique.de>
> Tellique Kommunikationstechnik GmbH
> Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, 13355 Berlin, Germany
> Tel. +49 30 46307-552 / Fax +49 30 46307-579

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html