Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2011 18:22:17 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: watching home via Internet

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 04:02:08PM +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to watch via Internet what is going on in my house, for example
> when I go out with my wife for dinner to be sure that the two little children
> are safe and sleeping, i.e. nobody plays with matches in the living
> room :-)
>
> I have some FreeBSD laptops at home, with a cam I could direct to
> monitor the area; I could do SSH from my netbook (runs FreeBSD 10)
> with X11 forwarding and launch pwcview(1); but what about audio?
> the cam has a micro too, which captures very good the audio in the room;

too much bandwidth, the video would travel uncompressed.
you are better off running skype or
a videophone app on the remote system (ignore the display)
and receive the compressed stream with another skype/vidphone.

there is a nice phone app called 'baresip' which also
does video and has a command line interface, see

http://www.creytiv.com/baresip.html

cheers
luigi