Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 21:20:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Andrei Cojocaru <spinlock_lists@empirequest.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I get /bin/sh back?

Andrei Cojocaru wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I replaced /bin/sh with bash and made /bin/sh a symbolic link to
> bash. I want to know how to get it back (original /bin/sh that is),
> since the make buildworld won't work without it (That is what port
> do I install?).

Oops! :-) You should never replace /bin/sh. As you have found out,
doing so breaks some scripts. :-) There are plenty of other better
supported ways to make bash the default multiuser shell on your
system.

Now, to fix your current problem, you can rebuild /bin/sh from
sources. (I assume you have the userland sources, as you were trying
to do a buildworld).

# cd /usr/src/bin/sh && make all install

...should do the trick.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-3630   Saskatoon